Thursday, January 19, 2006

Buy This...

During my last breakup, a big part of getting through it was reading through all three parts of Jeffrey Brown's Girlfriend Trilogy. After that really cathartic reading of Clumsy, I remarked how good these were to read while I was heartbroken, but how they were just as amazing to read when I was happy in love.

It's that unique quality in Brown's bio comics that makes them stand out - he manages to make your heart swell and then deflate just as big and flat as his did. All this, using 4 (or sometimes 2) panels a page drawn in ball-point pen.

So this new one, Every Girl Is The End of the World for Me will definately make my list of things to read come April. The title alone sends me back to highschool, when I got a deadly crush on every pretty girl I knew (with the exception of a few lasting ones).

Brown also does a great deal of funny, funny shit. Be A Man is his re-telling of Clumsy if he'd been more "macho". Also, anyone who likes Super Hero comics should pick up BigHead, in which the titular character battles villians such as The Puncher. Brilliance all around.

Order Jeffrey Brown's work here (or at your local shop!) - TopShelf Comix
Visit his website here - The Holy Consumption

-casey-

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The title alone sends me back to highschool, when I got a deadly crush on every pretty girl I knew"

OUCH.

EXCEPT FOR ONE.

Casey Malone said...

I said PRETTY girl.

WO-OAH!

-casey

Anonymous said...

HOW COULD YOU NOT FIND MY GLOW IN THE DARK BRACES ATTRACTIVE????

it's impossible. stop bluffing.

Anonymous said...

Whatever happened to art-standards in the comic industry? I mean, fuck, can any slack-ass with a ballpoint pen move comics these days?

Also: It's been 5 days since your last update. Lhame. (The "h" makes it trendy.)